Jappelli palace, the current municipal seat, was built between 1821 and 1823 on a design by the architect Giuseppe Jappelli (Venice 1783-1852) in the place of the previous public palace (of Carrara origin). Once the building hosted not only the prefecture, the registryand and the guardhouse, but also almost ten shops, some warehouses and jails. In Austrian land register is described as “semi-detached civil house with workshops; semi-detached civil house at first floor, second floor municipal deputation offices”. Jappelli palace – the current role Current the building is completely occupied by public offices. In the flowerbed in front of the palace, there is a flag-pole in Istrian stone; on it you can still read the date (1591), Piove di Sacco’s emblem with San Martino and major Pandolfo Malatesta’s emblem. The main facade is marked with windows and ground-floor arches’ holes. The elegant lobby has an open hall with columns that match the rhythm of the facade. By climbing the stairs you can reach the noble floor where there are social rooms: The room of the magnificent community or council room, pomegranates room and office of the secretary-general. In council room you can admire a wood 14th-century crucifix found in the […]
It was one of the residence of Alvise Cornaro in the territory of Codevigo, maybe the one where he stayed during his first visit. In one of the maps by Nicolò Da Cortivo, dated back to 1563, is mentioned as “house of coner” surrounded by casoni with thatched roof. It has gable facade crowned by battlements and behind is extended the gabled roof. Nowadays the building hosts a restaurant. It is located in the village of Cambroso.
Church of San Francesco in Piove di Sacco seems to date between 1225 and 1250, when St. Francis preached in the area of Padua. In that church was created the fraternity of “SS. Crocifisso” and became so large that they decided to built at the church their new headquarter. Around 1570 it was built next to St. Francis a church to which later was added an oratory. The convent and the first church were abolished in 1769 by the Serenissima and destroyed in 1853. Only the 15th-century school with the oratory stayed up and in memory of the previous buildings it’s called Church of St. Francis. The facade is very simple and with the three tympanums reflects the interior layout with three aisle. Inside, the roof of the aisle is composed by 44 wood panels. The recent renovation of the church started also the refurbishment of the artworks inside of it. The most important works were the recovery of the wood ceiling with painted coffered and later, the recovery of two important unknown “taleri” hung from the ceiling. Church of San Francesco, nearby: points of interest near Church of San Francesco (within 0.5-km) parkings near Church of San Francesco other […]
The church of Vigorovea was built in 1326 following the testamentary will of the paduan Jacopo de Zacchis. It was remodeled over the centuries and then in 1605 restored. The current church, devoted to St. James and in neoclassical style, in 1804 has arisen from scratch in there instead of the previous one and it was opened in 1817. the elegant facade dates back in 1873-75, and it is decorated with pink marble panels depicting “Jesus among the child”. The 18th-century main altar, made with white marble from Carrara, is the work of Alvise Tagliapietra, one of the best sculptor of that time. Once the 15th-century “Our Lady with Child” belonged to the oratory of Vigorovea and it stayed there until 1908, nowadays it is located in Padua in the St. Nicholas’ church. The bell tower was erected in 1793.
Castelcaro village was born during 1400s thanks to some fortress built by the Carraresi. The town hosts the noble same-named church which is still used. The little church is open the last Sunday of each month and gives the possibily to take part of the masses.
Sanctuary Madonna delle Grazie, also called Sanctuary delle Grazie is historically, architecturally, religiously and culturally important for all Saccisica and is located near Piove di Sacco’s city centre. The outside come in various forms: apse, lateral walls and bell tower are tiled and with suspended medieval arches. The cloister hosts the indoor garden and is the only left part of the convent. Sanctuary Madonna delle Grazie is full of legends The origin of this building is connected to a miracle. Two brothers of Sanguinazzi’s family were splitting the heritage of the dead parents but they couldn’t find a deal about the canvas of Madonna with Child (then attributed to the venetian Giovanni Bellini dated around 1478) and they actually challenged to a fight. That duel never took place. A few-months old child in the arms of the mother talked to them and said “please stop in the name of God” and claiming to be the Virgin Mary. The two brothers decided to take the canvas to a Church near Piove di Sacco. Thanks to this masterpiece happened several miracles and for this reason they built a convent approved by pope Innocenzo VIII, and the Church devoted to the Virgin. The […]
Tower Carrarese is considered by the inhabitants of Piove di Sacco as a city symbol and currently is the bell tower near the dome. The tower is located in square St. Maria dei penitenti, in front of the same-named church and it’s possible to visit it during the main cultural events and the market of the porches. In these occasions you can rise the top of the bell tower and admire the view of the city centre and the nearby areas. The tower was originally the castle keep and was built by Francesco da Carrara around 1360 together with other three unit (Tower Rossi, Tower Panico and Tower Carrarese). After the destructions in 1800, the latter were destroyed and the name “Carrarese” switched to the old one. Definitely interesting is the clockwork, which resists since 1907, albeit flanked by modern system. Tower Carrarese is very close to the little church (St. Mary of penitents) and so to the new museum “paradiso”.
On 2 August 2004, after a renovation of more than one year, took place with a solemn ceremony in the presence of religious and civil authorities the reopening of the little church of Saint Mary of the Assumption called “delle Muneghette”. This place has always been a meeting point for the popular devotion of our town which is particularly loyal to the Marian cult. Every year on 15th August it renews the faith for the feast of the Assumption of the Virgin. Even nowadays the venerable popular tradition remembers when the wooden statue of Madonna with Child disappeared and then reappered near the church from the pit in which it had been thrown. The building, which is probably part of an ancient bigger complex is what’s left of an old female Benedictine convent mentioned in documents since the 13th century. During the following centuries it had been extended and enhanced thanks to the presence of nuns belonging to noble families and in 1520 it joined the St. Anne of Padua’s Benedictine convent. In late 18th century most of the lands (which now includes just the little church) switched to venetian Morosini family and then in early 1900s to the Bauce […]
Millecampi valley (Valle Millecampi) belongs to the province of Padua and extends for 1608 hectars in Codevigo’s municipality. It borders west with Morosina and Ghebo Storto valley, east with Sette Morti and others valley. The valley is destination for those keen on ecoturism, nordic walking and cycling. Shape of the valley: Millecampi valley consists of a main lake that reaches mainland and “velme”, mud flats that arise only with low tide. Sandbanks are tipical feature of the valley. These are low flat islands, swamped by water with high tide or dry for a long time with low tide. Sandbanks are route to several canals called “ghebi”. Thanks to the particular conformation and location of the valley, and a combination of fresh and salt water, there’s a particular fauna and tipical valley species can be found easily. This area of the south lagoon has always been exploited by men to benefit from the natural migration of mature fish. This phenomenon increased fishing industry, in particular in Chioggia area. Places to visit: Inside the valley there’s the only beach in province of Padua, Boschettona beach, destination for those keen on kite surfing. Particularly interesting are Casoni della Fogolana, which own all features […]
Browse Saccisica's Point of interest
Visit Saccisica's wonderful cultural and environmental heritage like Churches, Villas, Casoni, Valleys from a single and unique website.
Browse by Categories
Browse by Location
Latest News in Saccisica
VisitSaccisica in English! Saccisica’s places for the world
It is with great pleasure that we announce the English version of VisitSaccisica: the first and only private web platform for the promotion of the Saccisica area, points of interest and places to visit of the Saccisica and Saccisica events Today Tourists are looking for unusual and original experiences, so they seek (and fortunately, find) more and more places like ours: the great Saccisica between Padua, the Euganean Hills, Venice and Chioggia. The English version of VisitSaccisica is therefore focused on the needs of the foreign public and therefore deals with mapping purely tourist points of interest and not yet companies, parking lots and institutions. Are you a tourist coming in Saccisica? Thanks to the English version of VisitSaccisica you can get an interactive guide, optimized for mobile, accessible from smartphones and tablets to visit the whole Saccisica territory and all the places that are part of it. You will find the “magic” button #planmyroute in every point of interest’s page. Click it and you will easily build an itinerary to visit all the points of interest of Saccisica’s area. Your will NOT be forced to install additional applications on your smartphone or tablet because the website is 100% responsive. […]
Saccisica and its Casoni @ Fuorisalone 2019 in Milan!
It is with great pleasure that we announce that Saccisica and its Casoni are present in one of the events of the Fuorisalone 2019 in Milan. The event, organized by the Terra Migaki Design team, is held in Milan at the Francesco Messina Studio Museum between 8 and 14 April 2019; among the partners there are the Municipality of Milan and the Polytechnic of Milan. Materials and information on the houses were provided by Territori Online to the TMD team. We are proud of this contribution that we have succeeded in giving to the visibility of the territory of Saccisica in a more international context than ever. Terra Migaki Design, TMD19 Terra Migaki Design (TMD) is an international team of professionals united by the desire for growth and international exchange on green building issues and in particular on the development of raw earth design. The annual Milanese appointment dedicated to design represents an opportunity for the team to relaunch the themes of sustainability and in particular the use of raw earth as an in-depth study, absolutely unique of its kind, on green design. The international vocation of the competition in recent years has activated collaborations with international bodies and subjects […]