Gradenigo palace, often called “villa Gradenigo”, is part of the same-named complex and is one of the most important villas in Piove di Sacco, few steps from the city centre.
The first document about this building is dated 1581: at that time, around half 17th century, exited an house addressed to Gradenigo family. Between 1661 and 1675 the villa was rebuilt and an oratory devoted to St. Francis of Sales joined the property. During this period the building took the current form.
Around 1788 took place the first renovation of the facade and the oratory, and the establishment of the lateral barn.
Gradenigo family lived in Piove di Sacco during 1700, animating the place with parties and concerts together with other venetian noble families. In 1800 because of the Napoleonic and then austrian invasion, the palace was constantly plundered. In this century, during First World War, it became military hospital and in World War II offered accomodation to several refugees and poor families from piovese.
Society for saving Gradenigo palace
For many years the association “Amici del Gradenigo” in Piove di Sacco has tryed to save the uninhabited palace with the support of local people.
Gradenigo palace: nearby
- points of interest near Gradenigo palace (within 500-m)
- parkings near Gradenigo palace
- all villas near Gradenigo palace